Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"Little Christopher Columbus" (1893)
Music by Ivan Caryll (1861 - 1921)
Words by Geo. R. Sims and Cecil Raleigh
ACT I - The Great Square of Cadiz.
- No. 1 - Opening Chorus
- "Here in Cadiz flags are flying, from each steeple bells are ringing..."
- No. 2 - Song - Unspecified soloist and Chorus
- "Columbus was a famous man who lost himself at sea..."
- No. 3 - Song - Christopher
- "Oh! sailor King, who won renown unfading till the world shall end..."
- No. 3a - Ballad - Guinevere
- "A pussy cat sat by a silver stream - purr! - singing away in a dainty dream - purr! ..."
- No. 4 - Chorus
- "In an unconventional way they attend the fête today..."
- No. 5 - Air de Ballet
- No. 6 - Song - Unspecified soloist and Male Chorus
- "When you're strolling home to bed thro' the long deserted street..."
- No. 7 - Song - Christopher and Chorus
- "When the flow'rets droop in the noonday sun, and softly the song-birds trill..."
- No. 8 - Duet - Guinevere and Christopher
- "If in your dreams my face you see, dream on, true heart, for I am near..."
- No. 9 - Finale Act I
- "Oh, yes! oh, yes! Oh, yes! oh, yes! The dancing girls will give a show before they start for Chicago!"
ACT II - The Midway Plaisance, Chicago Exhibition.
- No. 10 - Chorus of Foreigners
- "We are foreigners come from afar, yes, we are... "
- No. 11 - Topical Song - O'Hoolegan and Two Flunkies
- "I'm a swell, as you see by my manners and air... "
- No. 12 - Quartett - Christopher, Guinevere, and Mr. & Mrs. Block
- "If you wish at the moment to shine in Society... "
- No. 13 - Duet - Christopher and O'Hoolegan
- "There's nothing half so sweet in life, they say, as wedded bliss... "
- No. 14 - Duet and Dance
- "We are the Sisters Giggle, you know us at a glance... "
- No. 15 - Double Chorus of Germans and Turks
- "Ve vas Deutsche frauleins, as you all can see... "
- No. 16 - Dance
- No. 17 - "Rumpty Tumpty" Song - (possibly sung by Christopher)
- "I am a jolly sort of chap, a fav'rite ev'rywhere... "
- No. 18 - Plantation Song
- "Oh! honey, my honey, 'tis a dark and stilly night, and only the stars can see... "
- No. 19 - Dance - Tarantella
- No. 20 - Finale Act II
- "All hail! All hail! All hail! Great Christopher Columbus! ... "
Click here for a list of the characters and original singers.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating to either the original author or the composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. You may not use any of them for any purpose without written permission from me. Copyright © 2006 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved