Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"Dream City and The Magic Knight" (1906)
Music by Victor Herbert (1859 - 1924)
Book and Lyrics by Edgar Smith
ACT I - The Dinglebender Farm at Malaria Center, Long Island.
- No. 1 - Chorus
- "Oh, the heat! And the 'skeet! There is naught here to delight us. We're afraid, in the shade, that the cows will come and bite us.."
- No. 2 - Shady Lane Sextette
- "Peachy and pearly, sweet city girlie, if you have no other beau, may I be your Romeo? ..."
- No. 3 - Duett - Hubbs and Amanda
- "He was a rooster, chesty and haughty, wise to the world, blasť ... She was a bantam, giddy and naughty..."
- No. 4 - Song - Dinglebender and Chorus
- "I'm not stuck to be a farmer, for I've loafed hard my life, and all I have ever saved up is a mortgage and a wife..."
- No. 5 - Song - Holmes and Chorus
- "Will you step right up and buy a home in Dream-town? Just at present it is nothing but a map..."
- No. 6 - Song - Nancy
- "When a little maid suburban, all unused to manners urban, spends a week in New York town..."
- No. 7 - Song - Henri D'Absinthe
- "The maiden of my fancy is so divinely fair, the sunbeams love to linger, to nestle in her hair..."
- No. 8 - Finale Act I
- "March away, yes, march away; we gaily march with a rum-tiddy tum, tiddy tum, tra-ra. Dream-town gay awakes today..."
ACT II - The Principal Square in Dream City.
- Nos. 9 & 10 - Entr'acte and Chorus
- "You may rave over London, Vienna, Paree, but no town in the world equals this..."
- No. 11 - Song - D'Absinthe
- "It is nice to make love in most any old clime to a maid by the moon-lit sea..."
- No. 12 - Song - Amanda and Chorus
- "Before we got our money and Seth became a dude, he never thought it funny the way I took my food..."
- No. 13 - Song - Nancy and Girls
- "The moon am shinin' on de bayou tonight, come out mah lady, stickin' in de cabin ain't treatin' me right..."
- No. 14 - Chorus and Ensemble
- "Bound for the opera, here come the quality, dressed in their plumage so fine..."
- No. 15 - Duet and Dance - Nancy and Holmes
- "In that olla podrida called Vaudeville, some things could be spared with small loss..."
- No. 16 - Finale Act II
- "Pretty little Nancy, you are just my fancy, you're the girl for me..."
ACT III - "The Magic Knight" - an opera performed in the Dream City's opera house.
- No. 1 - Prelude
- No. 2 - Opening Scene
- "At the gath'ring here assembled, great composers' hearts have trembled, and librettists have grown prematurely old..."
- No. 3 - Song and Cadenzas - Elsa, King and Ensemble
- "A modest operatic maiden I, with downcast eyes of heav'nly blue..."
- No. 4 - Song - Elsa, King and Ensemble
- "In strenuous grand op'ra moment like this, when my last hope is pinned to a fairy..."
- No. 5 - Ensemble and Chorus
- "A fairy boat upon the tide appears to float with man inside, a noble knight on rescue bent..."
- Nos. 6 & 7 - Song - Lohengrin, Ensemble and Finale
- "A knight am I, of noble mien, who owes his birth to magic, a pampered pet and very debonair..."
Click here for the cast of characters in "Dream City" and "The Magic Knight".
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating to the original lyricist or composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. Please do not use any of them for any purpose without first obtaining permission from me. Copyright © 2008 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved