Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"The French Maid" (1896)
Music by Walter Slaughter (1860 - 1908)
Words and Lyrics by Basil Hood
ACT I - The Hôtel Anglais, Boulogne-sur-Mer.
- No. 1 - Opening Chorus
- "Les femmes de chambre de cet Hôtel (Hôtel Anglais, Boulogne-sur-Mer)..."
- No. 2 - Song - Paul
- "O pretty Suzette! Delightful Suzette, you're a bright little, slight little, sweet soubrette..."
- No. 3 - Entrance of Sir Drummond & Maharajah
- "I'm General Sir Drummond Fife, V.C., K.C.B.,..."
- No. 4 - Duet - Sir Drummond & Prince, with Chorus
- "In eighteen hundred and ninety-four the Maharajah of Punkapore..."
- No. 5 - Song - Charles
- "I'm only a waiter today, but the thought is most exhilarating..." (three verses)
- No. 6 - Song - Suzette
- "The sort of girl I am the gentlemen adore, although I am a Femme de Chambre..." (three verses)
- No. 7 - Song - Dolly
- "With my pencil and paper (my sketch-block or book) I frequently caper to some quiet nook..."
- No. 8 - Duet - Dolly and Harry
- "'Tis a law in Society's code that, whatever a damsel may do..."
- No. 8a - Song - Dolly
- "There is a castle in the air, and Cupid holds the key..."
- No. 10 - Song - Jack and Chorus
- "When quite a little chap, a-sitting on my mother's lap..." (three verses)
- No. 11 - Song - The Twin Duet - Charles and Jack
- "Some twins are very much alike, but we are not a bit..." (four verses)
- No. 12 - Song - Jack and Chorus of Sailors
- "The Admiral! Sir Hercules! Let every gal get off your knees..."
- No. 13 - Song - Admiral and Chorus
- "I'm an Admiral of the Fleet, with character untarnish'd..."
- No. 14 - Finale Act I
- "She's going with the Admiral, the Admiral, the Admiral..."
ACT II - (the scene is not specified - details would be welcome)
Song no. 9 has been temporarily omitted pending a readable copy of page 38.
Click here for a list of the characters and original London cast.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating to either the original author or the composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. You may not use any of them for any purpose without written permission from me. Copyright © 2003 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved