Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"The Half Moon" (1920)
Music by Victor Jacobi (1883 - 1921)
Book and Lyrics by William LeBaron
ACT I - Garden of Hobson's House.
- Curtain Music
- No. 1 - Song - Grace and Girls
- "Back in the past, so we've been taught, girls only did just what they ought; no one then had to try to be quite good..."
- No. 2 - Song - Mary and Men
- "There must be someone here who could become quite dear to you. Look us over, please, and give your answer. Don't delay..."
- No. 3 - Song - Charlie, Bradford and Chorus
- "When you choose between all the girls you've seen on the continent and here, there is one cold fact..."
- No. 4 - Duet - Hobson and Charlie
- "When I was just about your age, I thought I knew it all - as you think you know ev'rything today. My father tried advising me..."
- No. 5 - Song - Hobson and Girls
- "A girl who tries to flirt with me will very quickly see I never fall. You have a lot of little tricks - I know of five or six..."
- No. 6 - Double Duet - Grace, Charlie, Mary and Bradford
- "My old loves I'll forget, for I know that I can't be true ... I have not one regret, for I want only you..."
- No. 7 - Finale Act I
- "I want you to know a very dear friend, so, Gov'nor, this is Mary. ... You know I have met the young lady before. ... I know, but..."
ACT II - At Mr. Adams's Home in Brookline, Massachusetts.
- No. 7a - Entr'acte
- No. 8 - Opening Scene and Song
- "Love makes us gay, there isn't a doubt, but often it fills us with sadness. It's one thing we know nothing about..."
- No. 9 - Song - Grace, Mary, Charlie, Bradford and Chorus
- "There's a mystery, it's plain; at a dance you can't explain, for in vain you complain that people..."
- No. 10 - Duet - Grace and Charlie
- "There is a way I can tell what you feel, a look in your eyes that you cannot conceal. I see it whenever I ask you..."
- No. 11 - Song - Hobson
- "I wonder what's happened to make such a change in the habits and customs of women. My ma was the one that was always at home.."
- No. 12 - Duet - Mary and Bradford
- "When the moon is shining, shining in the sky, although we don't know why, a girl who loves you begins to sigh..."
- No. 13 - Finale Act II
- "I am a lover pleading with a maid; Oh, my adored one, hear my serenade; with sentimental feeling I am kneeling, let your heart..."
ACT III - 36 Lower Fifth Avenue, New York. (6 months later)
- No. 13a - Entr'acte
- No. 13b - Curtain Music
- No. 14 - Duet - Charlie and Bradford
- "Life is just a puzzle and few can work it out, but fewer still know anything of what it's all about..."
- No. 14½ - Melodrama
- No. 15 - Comedy Duet - Hobson and Maggie
- "I used to think perhaps I should be wedded, but just who the girl would be I didn't know..."
- No. 15½ - Chorus
- "When we but smile a little smile, we know you love us after all, for when we start, you lose your heart; oh lady, then how hard you fall..."
- No. 16 - Quartet - Grace, Mary, Charlie and Bradford
- "There's always some explanation after a slight mediation; things may not be what they seem..."
- No. 17 - Finaletto
- "Half moon, oh, won't you keep on shining; Half moon! there's always someone watching you..."
Click here for details of the original cast.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from copyright restrictions relating to its original authors and composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. Please do not use any of them for any purpose without my prior permission. Copyright © 2010 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved