Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"The Idol's Eye" (1897)
Music by Victor Herbert (1859 - 1924)
Lyrics by Harry B. Smith
ACT I - Officers' Quarters of an English Regiment in India.
- No. 1 - Opening Chorus and Quartet
- "Daughter of officer, M.P., or Primate, lovely patrician exotics are we..."
- No. 2 - Kiss Duet - Maraquita, Winner and Girls
- "I know a blue-eyed maiden with the usual hair of gold..."
- No. 3 - Song - Don Pablo and Chorus
- "In that fair isle of Cuba fair Havana, there I raise the cocoanut and the banana..."
- No. 4 - Entrance of Brahmins and Hindoo Chorus
- "Who is it comes to an air Oriental? ..."
- No. 5 - Balloon Song - Abel Conn and Chorus
- "I started out from Frisco on a pleasant day in June..."
- No. 6 - Song - Bedalia and Chorus
- "I'm the oldest of a dozen and I'm just fifteen, and the way the world's agin me..."
- No. 7 - Song - Abel and Chorus
- "Oh, talk of Tommy Atkins, Captain Jinks, and all the lot who are military heroes..."
- No. 8 - Song - Damayanti and Chorus
- "She came from England's shore, a siren to adore..."
- No. 9 - Finale Act I
- "Thou, thou, thou art the guilty one; thou art responsible for the Rajah's jewel..."
ACT II - Interior of the Temple of the Ruby.
- No. 10 - Opening Chorus
- "With dances wild, with music weird, we officiate to propitiate our deity so feared..."
- No. 11 - Song of the Priestess
- "Here in the temple I've waited thee with hope and fear, waited many a year..."
- No. 12 - Song - Abel and Chorus
- "Do you remember, Angeline, that heartless Human Snake who won my heart..."
- No. 13 - Finale Act II
- "He speaks, he shakes, he speaks, he wakes; he creaks, he shakes, he speaks, he wakes..."
ACT III - Officers' Quarters (same as Act I).
Click here for a list of characters.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating to the original lyricist or composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. You may not use any of them for any purpose without written permission from me. Copyright © 2008 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved