Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"When Johnnie Comes Marching Home" (1902)
Music by Julian Edwards (1855 - 1910)
Lyrics by Stanislaus Stangé
ACT I - General Allen's Headquarters.
- No. 1 - Opening Chorus
- "Hurrah! Hurrah! We sing a jubilee..."
- No. 2 - Sextet - Amelia, Cordelia, Susan, Buckle, Geoffrey, Walker & Chorus
- "Oh! this dancing! ... 'Tis entrancing! ..."
- No. 3 - Duet - Cordelia & Geoffrey
- "Boys from sixteen to twenty marry at beauty's call..."
- No. 4 - Melodrame
- No. 5 - Song - John
- "The poet sings of sunny France, fair olive-laden Spain..."
- No. 6 - Ensemble - Constance, with Amelia, Susan, Buckle, Walker & Chorus
- "Now listen to me, I think we agree..."
- No. 7 - Duet - Constance & Allen
- "Long ago, do you remember when the day was on the wane..."
- No. 8 - Fairyland - Kate & Chorus
- "There is a land whose mystic strand is trod by fancy's feet..."
- No. 9 - Duet - Kate & John
- "Why bends to the river the rose? ... Who knows? ..."
- No. 10 - Song - Cordelia, with Amelia, Susan & Female Chorus
- "Did you ever gaze into a sweet maiden's eye..."
- No. 11 - "Suwanee River" Quintette - Kate, Constance, Robert, John & Allen
- "I fear my dancing has its faults..."
- No. 12 - Finale Act I
- "Graceful hopping, never stopping tender squeezing, oh! quite pleasing..."
ACT II - Felix Graham's Plantation.
- No. 13 - Introduction & Chorus
- "Sing! Sing! Darkies sing! Doan ye heah de banjo ring? ..."
- No. 14 - Song - Uncle Tom & Chorus
- "When de shadders am a-fallin, and de bee no longer hums..."
- No. 15 - Duet - Kate & John
- "Thro' the dark aisles of the night, the summer wind softly blows..."
- No. 16 - Song - Phoenix & Chorus
- "A froggy would a-wooing go, alas, alack-a-day! ..."
- No. 17 - Song - Kate
- "How sweet the air. Spring is singing in my heart..."
- No. 18 - Song - John & Men's Chorus
- "Her eyes are like the stars above, her cheeks the blushing rose..."
- No. 19a - Ensemble - Amelia, Susan, Buckle, Geoffrey, Walker & Chorus
- "Good day, Yankees. Good day, South! ..."
- No. 19b - Song - Geoffrey & Chorus
- "Sweet Charlotte, Charlotte russe suggests; Owen, checks to sign..."
- No. 20 - Duet - Cordelia & Geoffrey
- "There are many queer things that we'd better not know..."
- No. 21 - Song - Allen & Chorus
- "She's the lace on the skirt of the cold-blooded flirt..."
- No. 22 - Song - Constance
- "Time the master passing by, youth and beauty whither die..."
- No. 23 - Finale Act II
- "Sir, your son to his home has returned..."
ACT III - Scenes 1 to 3 - Night and Morning within Federal Camps, and then on the Banks of the Mississippi.
Click here for a list of the main characters and original singers.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating either to the original author or to the composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. You may not use any of them for any purpose without written permission from me. Copyright © 2005 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved