Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"Manteaux Noirs" (1882)
Music by P. Bucalossi (1832 - 1918)
Libretto by W. Parke and Harry Paulton
- No. 1 - Wedding Chorus
- "Joy to the lover, bliss to the bride; may fortune keep shedding its gifts on her wedding! ..."
- No. 2 - Scene, Aria & Chorus - Don José & Girola
- "Who can it be, this fine grandee! Why comes he near? ..."
- No. 3 - Song - Girola
- "Six months ago, when keen lumbago kept my uncle to his bed..."
- No. 4 - Song - Girola & Chorus
- "I never could (like some girls) smile and simulate emotion..."
- No. 5 - Song - Dromez
- "There's nought so uncertain as greatness, for be you as great as you will..."
- No. 6 - Song - Don Luis
- "Aid me, Cupid, god of love; Venus! on my efforts smile..."
- No. 7 - Duet - Girola & Dromez
- "It is my duty to be revealing the life that waits you, 'tis vain concealing..."
- No. 8 - Chorus, & Recit. - Isabel
- "Viva! viva! gracious Queen, glory, happiness and honor! ..."
- No. 9 - Duet - Isabel, Philip & Chorus
- "How blest must be this country life, far from the madding city's road! ..."
- No. 10 - Finale Act I
- "Away! away! depart, depart, 'tis close of day and time to start..."
- Nos. 11 & 12 - Entr'acte & Chorus
- "Safe to the bridal home we've brought you, guiding the path of the happy, happy pair..."
- No. 13 - Ballad - Girola
- "The heart sighs ever to be free from all but love's enthralling rapture! ..."
- No. 13˝ - Melodrame
- No. 14 - Duet - Girola & Don Luis
- "Love is blind, the sages say; round his eyes a veil is folded..."
- No. 15 - Duet - Don Philip & Don José
- "I sing love's dulcet softest lay, Tra, la, la, la, la, la, Tra, la, la, la, la! ..."
- No. 16 - Whispering Quartet - Girola, Don Luis, Don Philip & Don José
- "Hush! hush! hush! I mustn't breathe a word! ..."
- No. 17 - Finale Act II
- "Search the mill from floor to basement, guard each door, secure each casement..."
- No. 18 - Introduction and Chorus
- "Love and pleasure! Life is brief, fate will measure joy and grief..."
- No. 18a - Repeat of Chorus
- "Now is the season for revels and dances..."
- No. 19 - Concerted Piece & Song - Isabel, Don José & Chorus
- "Powers of goodness! what do I behold? 'Tis dreadful! ..."
- No. 20 - Concerted Piece - Girola, Isabel, Don Luis, Don Philip & Chorus
- "Say, girl, are you the miller's bride? ..."
- No. 21 - Fandango - Girola & Chorus
- "Anita is sad and forlorn, tho' once she was happy and gay..."
- No. 22 - Duet - Girola & Don Luis
- "False, false woman, fickle jade! Thus are perill'd vows you made..."
- No. 23 - Finale Act III
- "Here ends all artifice and guile, no fear of new surprises..."
I have no information at present about the original cast, nor about scenic settings.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating to either the original authors or the composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. You may not use any of them for any purpose without written permission from me. Copyright © 2005 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved