Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"The Red Hussar" (1889)
Music by Edward Solomon (1855 - 1895)
Lyrics by H. P. Stephens
ACT I - The Inn Yard of the "Crown," Lyndhurst.
- No. 1 - Opening Chorus with solos, and Song - Bundy
- "Merry England..." and "Won't you join the army?"
- No. 2 - Song - Sir Harry Leighton
- "My love and I were singing; my love and I were young..."
- No. 3 - Song - Ralph Rodney
- "When life and I were first acquainted, then life was old and I was young..."
- No. 4 - Trio - Sir Harry Leighton, Ralph Rodney, & Barbara
- "Pray understand I keep my hand..."
- No. 5 - Valse Song - Kitty Carroll
- "Wand'ring at will o'er dale and hill, gaily my voice is ringing..."
- No. 6 - Chorus of Soldiers & Villagers
- "Tramp, tramp, tramp, tramp, onward we go, boys..."
- No. 7 - Song - Sir Middlesex Mashem, & Chorus
- "I am a soldier of renown, a veritable hero..."
- No. 8 - Concerted Piece - Kitty, Bundy, & Soldiers
- "Come, sing to us, or forfeit pay..." & "When I was but a little child..."
- No. 9 - Duet - Kitty & Rodney
- "One winter morn, a maid forlorn sat weeping, weeping by the way..."
- No. 10 - Finale Act I
- "My lad, 'tis time for us to start..."
ACT II - The English Camp, near Bruges, France.
ACT III - The Garden and Terrace of Avon Manor.
- No. 22 - Opening Chorus
- "A Jubilee! A Jubilee! A Jubilee today!..."
- No. 23 - Chorus of Children (Bridesmaids & Drummer Boys)
- "Happy little maidens all are we..."
- No. 24 - Country Dance
- No. 25 - Ballad - Kitty
- "I dreamt I was a child again, and stood by a silver sea..."
- No. 26 - Song - Bundy
- "I intend to sing a song with variations..."
- No. 27 - Sestette - Kitty, Barbara, Mrs. Magpie, Rodney, Leighton, & Sir Middlesex
- "One little kiss..."
- No. 28 - Finale Act III
- "Steady, boys, steady; ready, boys, ready..."
Click here for a list of the characters and original cast.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating to either the original author or the composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. You may not use any of them for any purpose without written permission from me. Copyright © 2003 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved