Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"The Serenade" (1897)
Music by Victor Herbert (1859 - 1924)
Libretto by Harry B. Smith
ACT I - The main office of the Royal Madrid Brigandage Association Ltd., near a haunted castle in the mountains.
ACT II - The garden of the Monastery of St. Benedict, adjoining the Convent School of St. Ursula.
- No. 8 - Opening Chorus of Monks and Novices
- "In our quiet cloister, monkish brethren dwell, peaceful as an oyster..."
- No. 9 - Song - Yvonne and Monks
- "Where are the stars so brightly twinkling as in fair Andalusia? ..."
- No. 10 - Song - Romero and Male Chorus
- "When I went my rounds one day, seeking charity, charity, charity..."
- No. 11a - Ensemble
- "Who can this be? We'll stay and see, with worldly curiositee! ..."
- No. 11b - Song - Duke and Chorus
- "Who was it in Eden encountered the snake? Woman, attractive woman ..."
- No. 12 - The Angelus - Dolores and Chorus
- "The Angelus sounds from the convent bells like a dear voice low and tender..."
- No. 13 - Waltz Song - Yvonne
- "Cupid once found me a-dreaming, lulled by the soft summer breeze..."
- No. 14 - Monks' Chant
- "I love thee, I adore thee, O my heart, life, and soul, all are thine..."
- No. 15 - Scene and Quartet - Alvarado, Dolores, Yvonne and Romero
- "I'm sure 'tis she! Just wait! I'll see..."
- No. 16 - Finale Act II
- "Dishonor most appalling, and terrible disgrace are threatening the falling of this monastic place..."
ACT III - The same as Act I.
Click here for a list of the characters and original singers.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating either to the original author or to the composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. You may not use any of them for any purpose without written permission from me. Copyright © 2007 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved