Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"The Sho-Gun" (1904)
Music by Gustav Luders (1865 - 1913)
Book and Lyrics by George Ade
ACT I - In front of the ancestral temple, outside of the city walls and near the Gate of Victory, of the Forbidden City of Kachoo.
- No. 1 - Opening Chorus
- "Sho-Guns were they! Hail to the natal day! Let us all unite in singing praises to the mighty Ming! ..."
- No. 1a - Recitative - Shaman
- "Come, let us ask a benediction from the proud spirit of our mighty dead..."
- No. 2 - Song - Moozoo-May and Chorus
- "The rose of June can feel no sorrow, if never droops or says: "Ah, me!" ..."
- No. 3 - Entrance of Hanki-Pank
- "Each day I most devoutly thank the gods for making Hanki-Pank a person of such sterling worth..."
- No. 4 - Chorus of Bachelors and Song - Tee-To
- "We scoff at the man who sits at home with junior on his knee..."
- No. 5 - Entrance of Maids of Honor, with Hunni-Bun, Hi-Faloot & Kee-Otori
- "We are the chums of Hunni-Bun at a private female college..."
- No. 6 - Ballad - Tee-To
- "How often in this careless life a word but lightly spoken, by magic of a love sincere becomes a blessed token..."
- No. 7 - Quartette - Hunni-Bun, Hi-Faloot, Tee-To & Kee-Otori
- "Observe the loving mother bird up in the spreading tree..." (4 verses)
- No. 8a - Chorus of Soldiers
- "We are a mercenary lot of Oriental rangers, ready to join in any plot that's quite devoid of dangers..."
- No. 8b - Entrance of Spangle
- "Wherever British drum-beats sound, unending round the world..." (3 verses)
- No. 9 - Mourners' Chorus and Song - Widow Omee-Omi
- "See where she comes, broken-hearted, life is but an empty dream..."
- No. 10 - Duet - Omee-Omi and Spangle
- "Tell me, if you can, the rule by which a man selects his worse or better half..."
- No. 11 - Finale Act I
- "What ho! What ho! What ho! What ho! Lay hold upon this bold invader..."
ACT II - The Wistaria Garden of the Forbidden City.
Lyrics to songs:
Click here for a list of the characters and original singers.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating either to the original author or to the composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. You may not use any of them for any purpose without written permission from me. Copyright © 2007 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved