Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"Rip Van Winkle" (1882)
Music by Robert Planquette (1848 - 1903)
Libretto by H. Meilhac, Ph. Gille, and H. B. Farnie
- No. 1 - Opening Chorus, Scene and Couplets
- "Far and near our cry be heard, Long life to great George the Third! ..."
- No. 2 - Exit of Peasants, etc.
- "Yes, it is a common thing, thus to use one's Queen or King..."
- No. 3 - Air - Rip Van Winkle
- "Oh! where's my girl of whom I'm fond? Wherever can my darling be? ..."
- No. 4 - Canoe Song - Gretchen & Rip
- "Where floweth the wild Mohawk river, a-down the long rushes that quiver..."
- No. 5 - Chorus of Cowards
- "Can't you see we're coming? (Hang their horrid drumming...)"
- No. 6 - Legend of the Kaatskils - Gretchen & Chorus
- "From deep forest hoary, lift in awful glory mountains grey and old..."
- No. 7 - Trio and Air - Rip Van Winkle & Children
- "Ere the marriage contract is drawn, what have you got to live upon? ..."
- No. 8 - Rondo - Katrina & Chorus
- "'Tis the hour we girls ne'er fail, with a pitcher and a tale, at the old draw-well..."
- No. 9 - Finale Act I
- "When I come back 'twill be no more to roam; thenceforth to stay with thee at home..."
ACT II - Scene 1
ACT II - Scene 2
ACT III - Scene 1
ACT III - Scene 2
- No. 19 - Election Chorus, Couplets & Ensemble - Katrina
- "Whatsoever may be won in this afternoon's elections..."
- No. 20 - Rondo - Katrina & Chorus
- "Folks do say, who are wise and able, that when tongues got all mixt at Babel..."
- No. 21 - Letter Song - Alice
- "I dare not break the seal! What fear, what doubt I feel... I've liv'd so long with sorrow..."
- No. 22 - Hammock Song - Lieutenant van Slous & Chorus
- "Oh, proud and high the feeling, o'er the sailor stealing..."
- No. 22½ - Melodrame - Entrance of Rip Van Winkle
- No. 23 - Song - Rip Van Winkle
- "The thirsty sun burns on the noon-tide brink, yet hotter, yet hotter! ..."
- No. 24 - Trio - Alice, Van Slous, & Rip
- "I know you not! My father's dead! ... Old man, I fear your reason's fled! ..."
- No. 25 - Chorus
- "Some say, now that the voting is done, the finish will be exciting..."
- No. 26 - Finale Act III
- "From deep forest hoary, lift in awful glory, mountains grey and old, that myst'ry and tradition hold! ..."
Lyrics to songs:
Or why not download a ZIP file containing the above items in Midi Karaoke format? This will allow you to follow the lyrics, provided you install the necessary vanBasco's Karaoke Player which you may obtain free of charge from their website.
Click here for a list of the characters and original singers.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating to either the original authors or the composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. You may not use any of them for any purpose without written permission from me. Copyright © 2005 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved