Colin M. Johnson's Music and MIDI files
Computer Generated MIDI Operas
"The Viceroy" (1900)
Music by Victor Herbert (1859 - 1924)
Libretto by Harry B. Smith
ACT I - The Lido, the public promenade on the sea wall, Palermo.
ACT II - A Public Square in Palermo.
- No. 8 - Opening Chorus
- "Thy subjects are we, King Carnival, King Carnival, a health then to thee..."
- No. 9 - Song - Beatrice
- "A Robin loved the reddest rose that grew..."
- No. 10 - Song - Corleone and Chorus
- "One day I may swear by the eyes of black, the next by the eyes of blue..."
- No. 11 - Quartet - Viceroy, Corleone, Bastroco & Barabino
- "A sailor's life is a jolly, jolly life, and a merry, merry lad is he..."
- No. 12 - Song - Tivolini and Chorus
- "'Neath the blue Neapolitan skies, the tambourines are ringing..."
- No. 13 - Duet - Viceroy and Fioretta
- "It is said that woman's age is here ... May be so. I don't know..."
- No. 14 - Duet - Fioretta and Jailer
- "I've often dreamed of such a handsome face, thou paragon of grace..."
- No. 15 - Song - Fioretta and Chorus
- "If I am Queen, as you say I am, some novel laws I'll make..."
- No. 16 - Finale Act II
- "I'm a leader of Society, Society, Society, the pink of all propriety, a human fashion plate..."
ACT III - The Pirate's Cave.
- No. 17 - Entr'acte and Opening Solo - A Smuggler and Chorus
- "In the smuggler's cave by the ocean wave..."
- No. 18 - Song - Corleone and Chorus
- "From very early childhood days I've longed to go to jail..."
- No. 19 - Quintette - Fioretta, Ortensia, Luigi, Barabino and Corleone
- "One fellow's joy is another fellow's woe..."
- No. 20 - Duet - Tivolini and Fioretta
- "I met a sad and stately Nun, a pious soul that could not err..."
- No. 21 - Sextette - Beatrice, Fioretta, Ortensia, Luigi, Corleone & Barabino
- "Know ye the sound that is sweetest to hear?"
- No. 22 - Finale Act III
- "She's got you at last, Tivolini; You'll be married fast, Tivolini..."
Click here for a list of the characters and original singers.
This music is presented here in the belief that it is free from any current copyright restrictions relating either to the original author or to the composer. It is intended primarily for your listening entertainment and/or pleasure. If you wish to use any of it for other purposes, or know of any reason why it should not be included here in this form, please send me an email.
Back to my Front Page
Other Victorian/Edwardian Shows
My own music
Except where specifically noted, all MIDI files and stories on this web site are my own creations. You may not use any of them for any purpose without written permission from me. Copyright © 2006 Colin Johnson All Rights Reserved